Search

Entries by team members

Recent Googles

Today has been a major robot day
A few days ago, Amy, Faith and I narrowed down our missions and tested all of them.  Before Faith left, we had begun to discuss the best way to rebuild our robot's arm; we finally decided to make a design similar to the 2004 robot's.  
   
What made this arm both unique and ideal is that it was designed to do many functions in one maneuver.  We didn't have to take off or put on any attachments.  This bought us a lot of time in the competition and it allowed us to get more points.  
   
IMG_3870.JPGThis afternoon Amy and I printed out the best picture that we had that showed all of the features of this arm, and set to work.  In the end our arm looked nothing like the original, but it served our purpose.
   
Our arm can easily turn any direction, yet it has a lock that will lock it into place to prevent it from moving during the mission.  Unlike the original one that we had used during the testing stage, our arm was very short and compact, but it was incredibly strong.  Our arm can lift the stuck nanotip, dump the buckeyball into the bone, and knock the white molecules off of the table, all by either moving up or down.
   
After much testing we finally got it just the way we wanted it and were able to successively complete the buckeyball mission.  This is a big step to finishing the competition robot.  Our goal is to try to complete both our skit, and the robot within the next week to try to have time to practice.  
   
We have sixteen days until our first competition and I am so excited!  It looks like we are finally moving forward.

Posted by Amy at 11:14:00 PM on 10/26/2006

Thursday, October 26th, 2006

Today has been a major robot day

A few days ago, Amy, Faith and I narrowed down our missions and tested all of them.  Before Faith left, we had begun to discuss the best way to rebuild our robot's arm; we finally decided to make a design similar to the 2004 robot's.  
   
What made this arm both unique and ideal is that it was designed to do many functions in one maneuver.  We didn't have to take off or put on any attachments.  This bought us a lot of time in the competition and it allowed us to get more points.  
   
IMG_3870.JPGThis afternoon Amy and I printed out the best picture that we had that showed all of the features of this arm, and set to work.  In the end our arm looked nothing like the original, but it served our purpose.
   
Our arm can easily turn any direction, yet it has a lock that will lock it into place to prevent it from moving during the mission.  Unlike the original one that we had used during the testing stage, our arm was very short and compact, but it was incredibly strong.  Our arm can lift the stuck nanotip, dump the buckeyball into the bone, and knock the white molecules off of the table, all by either moving up or down.
   
After much testing we finally got it just the way we wanted it and were able to successively complete the buckeyball mission.  This is a big step to finishing the competition robot.  Our goal is to try to complete both our skit, and the robot within the next week to try to have time to practice.  
   
We have sixteen days until our first competition and I am so excited!  It looks like we are finally moving forward.

posted by Amy at 11:14:00 PM | View Full Comments Inline [0]